Buffalo Plaid Archer


Well whaddaya know, it's another Archer!

I've made a few Archers before (and you probably have too) so I don't have too much to add construction-wise. I did do one thing differently though - I tried the famous "burrito" method for attaching the yoke. I've attached so many yokes perfectly well using the traditional method that I'd never really felt the urge to find a different way. But after seeing this technique referenced so many times I figured I'd give it a go. And I have to say I'm a fan! It's definitely faster and less fiddly than what I was doing before, so it's going to be my go-to method from now on.

On a similar note, I also tried the different way to attach a collar tutorial that I've seen referenced a lot. This one I felt pretty neutral about. I had about the same level of difficulty and degree of success that I normally do with collars, so I think I'll just stick with my usual method. It's more a matter of preference than a time-saver, at least for me.




This cotton flannel is from Mood and it is AMAZING. Good quality, super comfy, nice and warm... I'm basically going to be living in this shirt until spring. The black and white colorway is almost sold out (which probably means it is actually sold out, knowing Mood), but the red and black is still available.

And thanks to input from my sewing pals on Instagram I chose these wooden buttons to match.


I used Grainline's plaid-matching tutorial and cut the placket, outer yoke, and pockets on the bias. I've never been a huge fan of the large size of the Archer pockets, especially on my petite frame, so I used a smaller, angled pocket. I also tried out Andrea's tutorial on getting perfectly matched pockets and it worked really well! You baste the two pockets together, turn them inside out, iron, take out your basting stitches, and voila! your seam allowances are perfectly folded under and your pockets are ready to go. It's definitely better than trying to iron under tiny seam allowances while also getting the points perfectly centered.



I'm glad I tried out some new techniques on this shirt. It made for more interesting sewing that way, and I'm definitely going to use the yoke and pocket methods going forward. Plus it's so fun adding techniques to the ever-growing sewing library I keep in my head!

So, if you can't tell, I'm really happy with the way this shirt turned out, and I'm sure I'm going to get a ton of wear out of it this winter.

Wishing you all a happy new year!

<3 Lindsay

Labels: , , , ,