Handmade Presents Round-Up


This marks my first year giving handmade presents for Christmas! I didn't want to stress myself out with sewing complicated projects on a deadline, so I just focused on making a few simple things for people who I knew would appreciate them.

First up is this faux fur and wool trapper hat! I used this free pattern by Sewbon and it came together really easily. I made one version for a secret santa hat exchange at work and I liked the way it turned out so well that I made a second version for my sister-in-law!



This hat hardly uses any material, so it would be a great scrap-buster if you have any faux fur lying around. I just used a bit of the faux fur I bought to make a jacket with (which I'll hopefully get around to doing this month...) I lined the inside with rayon bemberg in the hopes that it would reduce hat hair frizziness.




For my mother-in-law I made some home goods to go with her newly remodeled kitchen and living room. I found two fabrics that match her new color scheme - and that are totally her style - and decided on doing an accent pillow for the living room and a potholder and towels for the kitchen.

The fabric for the pillow is a Japanese cotton/linen blend by Kokka (the company that produces Nani Iro) that I found at the (now sadly closed) Common Thread in Austin. I used a spare Ikea pillow form I had and just sewed two rectangles of fabric together with an invisible zip at the bottom - super easy!



The kitchen towels are also just simple rectangles. They took a bit longer though because all the edges had to be folded over twice and the corners mitred. The potholder was actually really fun to make! It was my first experience using batting and quilting, and it was easier than I expected. To make it I just sandwiched two squares of batting between two squares of fabric and stitched diagonal lines at regular intervals. Then you trim the corners to be a bit curved and sew bias tape around the edge, making a loop at the end. Making a few for my own kitchen is definitely on my list!

The fabric I used is a cotton canvas by Lotta Jansdotter (available here) that I got practically for free at Form & Fabric's going-out-of-business sale. I'm really hoping a new apparel fabric store opens in Austin soon, because both my favorites are closed now!



And finally, for my mom I made this cozy flannel infinity scarf. This only took about fifteen minutes, but I love the way it looks! I kind of wanted to keep this one for myself... :)

How about you? Did you give or receive any handmade presents this Christmas? I'd love to hear about them!

<3 Lindsay

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,